Psalm 106:1

Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever!

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Are You Serious?

There are just some things that you should NEVER say to a pregnant woman, and there are some of those that just don't think before they speak......the most recent of my encounters......as I am window shopping at the mall while Macie is at Mother's Day Out, I see this really cute purse in the window of Gap, so I thought I would go in and check it out.  Not TWO feet into the store, I am greeted by this "lovely" sales lady, who instead of greeting me with the typical "is there anything I can help you find today?", she greets me with "um mam, you did know we don't carry maternity items in here, those are downstairs in our Baby Gap?"  WHAT!!!  Are you serious???!!!  What I really wanted to do was respond with "um, mam, did you know that a real good way to get a quick slap in face by a hormonal pregnant woman (who is already feeling fat today) is assume that I need directions to your nearest maternity store!!"  But of course I didn't, I just politely smiled and said "thank you I know where the maternity wear is, I am just looking at one of your handbags".  As she responded with a very confused look "oh".....does the woman think pregnant women can't buy handbags??!!! Needless to say, she did not earn any commission from me yesterday.

5 comments:

erin said...

Wow, that is pretty ridiculous! Good grief! I'm glad you didn't buy anything from her. :)

Kat said...

Grrr. People say the lamest things to pregnant women! I almost got in many a fist fight. My favorite was, "Girl, you're really coming on out there, aren't you?" My internal answer was, "Yeah, and my foot is really about to come on out to your teeth!"

Kat said...

I work at Saint Francis Center for Surgical Weight Loss (mouthfull!) I just educate patients about what to eat before and after surgery then follow upwith them after they have the surgery. It can be very interesting. I'm really digging just working 3 days a week though. Easier to handle :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. My pregnant friend (due any second now) here in Nashville has determined to write a book which she affectionately calls "Idiot's List of Stupid Things Ignorant Morons have said to me while I was Pregnant." I think it will be a big hit, and your story should certainly be in the book!

Stephanie said...

What is sooooo rediculous about that is - HELLO - maybe you were going to buy an outfit for someone else - it didn't have to be for YOU!! That girl is NUTS!! That would be like someone telling ME if I was walking in to a childrens clothing store - um - m'am - we don't have clothes in here to fit you - DUH!!