Psalm 106:1

Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mommy Advice NEEDED!

So, Macie started Mother's Day Out this summer for the first time ever at Bartlett Baptist Church. It it a 2 day a week program on Tuesdays and Thursday from 9-2:15.  I was so excited to get her signed up because she was definitely lacking the social interaction with other children.  I am currently working at the same school teaching  3 year olds just for the 6 week summer program. It's working out great because I get to make a little money and Macie gets to go FREE!  She is doing a great job and having so much fun, UNTIL nap time rolls around.  For the record, Macie is a GREAT sleeper.  Always has been.  She sleeps at least 12 hours a night and during the day at home she always takes at least a 2-3 hour nap! It's amazing! BUT....at school it's another story!  She DOES not get the concept of sleeping on a mat! She basically DOWN RIGHT refuses.  So by the time I pick her up she is SO EXHAUSTED that she falls asleep before we are out of the parking lot!  SO, I am asking for all you moms out there to PLEASE send any advice you might have on how to get my child to sleep on her mat at school!  I feel terrible because she is one of the few in her class that won't lay on her mat (AT ALL)....she fights the teachers and finally they just have to put her in the highchair while the others are sleeping!  ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!  For most of you that know me well, you know that I am a "stresser"....so this is HUGE for me!  HELP! 

6 comments:

Kelly said...

hey.. i teach mdo at our church for 18 months to 2 year olds. at the beginning of the year, all the kids are like this. repetition is the key! maybe you could try bringing a blanket from home or a favorite stuffed animal. at this age the battle is all about control and if she's not made to stay there the whole time, she'll think she never has to. it is so hard! there have been so many times i have picked emma up and they have told me she pitched a fit and would not lay down:) it's hard because you don't want to be "that mom with the kid". don't worry, that's why they pay the mdo teacher the big bucks:)

Sarah said...

I'm totally not a mom but I have had my fair share of watching children. What if you had her sleep on the mat when she is at home once a week...so it wouldn't be different when she goes to school. I don't know...just a thought.

jennifer said...

avery struggles with sleeping at school too. she is still in a crib in her classroom. would it be possible for them to let her sleep in a crib for a couple of weeks --- just until she adjusts?

Anonymous said...

Hey!

Give her time! Once she realizes that all of the other kids are doing it she will adjust. Change is hard for toddlers especially when they are so used to a certain way. Gracie had a terrible time adjusting to pre-school at first but now she loves it and knows the routine. Maya has been going to the pre-school summer camp for the past two weeks and she has had a hard time adjusting to having follow rules etc. so they keep reinforcing things with her!

Anyways my advice is to give her a little time! Also, I think the idea of letting her practice on her mat at home is a good idea as well! :)

Kress Smith said...

Abe went to Bartlet Baptist KDO during the school year. He never napped more than 25-35min and he was in the crib room. It is a big change for them. I always had a long drive home so I would just let him sleep in the car. I though he would get use to it but he never did. I will be praying for you.

Fred and Renee said...

I think the idea of taking a nap on the mat at home might work. She is in a strange environment and will take time to adjust.